Lately it feels that every time I open the internet or turn on the news, I am notified of another scam, system breach, or hacking attempt. How can we keep ourselves safe when everyone is out to steal our data? Here are some tips that should help you too always be Cyber Safe!
- Links or Attachments: Be careful about what links you click on and what attachments you open. If you’re not sure if a link or attachment is legitimate, don’t click on it or open it.
- Software Updates: Keep your software up to date. Software updates often include security patches that can help protect your computer from malware and other threats.
- Strong Passwords: Use a strong password and change it regularly. A strong password should be at least 12 characters long and include a mix of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols. And if it is offered, always use multifactor authentication or an authentication app.
- Firewall & Antivirus: Use a firewall and antivirus software. A firewall can help protect your computer from unauthorized access, and antivirus software can help detect and remove malware.
- Sharing Information: Be careful about what information you share online. Don’t share your Social Security number, credit card number, or other sensitive information online unless you absolutely have to.
- Phishing Attack: Be aware of the signs of a phishing attack. Phishing emails often contain misspellings, grammatical errors, or urgent requests for personal information. If you receive an email that seems suspicious, don’t click on any links, or open any attachments.
- Backup Data: Back up your data regularly. If your computer is infected with malware or your data is stolen, you’ll be glad you have a backup.
By following these tips, you can help protect yourselves from cyber security threats.